Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Chicken and Chickpea Tagine


Life in Urbana has been AMAZING.  On Sunday night, I went over to hear some friends play music they've been writing and/or working on, and it reminded me so much of Oberlin's folk scene!  It was great to meet new people, and I finally got to play with my friend Morgan, who I was supposed to collaborate/record with at the beginning of the summer.  Yesterday I had my usual Monday day off, and I met up with an old friend for Thai food and went shopping at Art Mart.  Usually Mondays are my cooking days, and I was looking through my many cookbooks to figure out what I wanted to make.  My very good friend Molly called and wanted to come for dinner, so I decided to try my middle eastern recipes, Chicken and Chickpea Tagine, Aloo Gobi, and Honey Cinnamon Tres Leches Cake for dessert!  It was seriously the BEST dinner I have ever put together :)  




















After we ate dinner and one slice of cake.....we had two more while watching Atonement, along with bawling the whole time.  It was such a great evening, and a FANTASTIC dinner to boot.  I would definitely recommend making these dishes; they won't last long, trust me!

Chicken and Chickpea Tagine

INGREDIENTS
2 Tbsp olive oil
2 Tbsp butter
1 large red onion, sliced thinly
3 cloves garlic, minced
pinch of salt
pinch of nutmeg
½ tsp cinnamon
1 tsp ginger
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp coriander
½ tsp pepper
pinch of cayenne pepper
4 tomatoes, diced
2½ cups chickpeas, canned or dry chickpeas soaked overnight (I just used canned and it turned out fine!)
½-¾ cups raisins and dried apricots
½ tsp vanilla extract
½ cup water
8 boneless skinless chicken thighs
salt, for dredging

DIRECTIONS 
Melt the butter and olive oil in a large pot.  Cook the onion stirring occasionally, until it softens.  Add the garlic, and add salt, nutmeg, cinnamon, ginger, cumin, coriander, pepper, and cayenne pepper, stirring to incorporate all of the spices.  Add tomatoes, chickpeas, dried fruit, and vanilla extract, and bring to a boil. Add more water, rub the chickens with salt, and pour into the soup pot.  Adjust heat so the mixture simmers steadily, and cook for 45 minutes-1 hour.  Serve warm with couscous.

Hope y'all enjoy!

xoxo, Sara

No comments:

Post a Comment