Monday, August 22, 2011

Chipotle and Green Chile Corn Chowder


I have FINALLY moved into my apartment/condo in Champaign!!  It was very much a fiasco, though....on the way to Wilmington, where my Grandma's beach is, I lost my driver's license :(  At first, it was extremely difficult to travel, because the people at the airline counters had completely different rules regarding ID cards than the people at the security station.  But I finally made it to Illinois!  Unfortunately, I needed to get a license to be able to drive to my jobs, etc, so I had to go to the DMV to get all of that sorted out.  For those of you that haven't tried getting a license as a recently graduated college student, IT'S SO FRUSTRATING.  After several days of panicking, wondering if I had all of the 473184708174 documents, I officially have my Illinois license!

My parents left town on Friday morning, and although it was sad to see them depart, I was SO excited to be able to live by myself!  Admittedly, my life in Urbana-Champaign is going to be REALLY busy....and this weekend for me was pretty crazy!  I had a gig every night, along with stressful days of work.  Luckily, I had a relatively calm day on Sunday, so I decided to make corn chowder for lunch/dinner/the next several days.

I've never made corn chowder before, but it is one of my favorite soups to order in a restaurant or buffet/cafeteria style.  This recipe has chipotle peppers and green chiles, which adds a lot of spice (which I LOVE)!  The corn here in Illinois is extremely sweet and delicious, and went perfectly with the soup.  I hope you guys decide to make it; it's extremely delicious, and soothing for any summer allergies you might have.

Chipotle and Green Chile Corn Chowder

INGREDIENTS
2 slices bacon, cut into 1/2" pieces
2 Tbsp butter
1-½ yellow onions, diced
5 ears corn, shucked and sliced off the cob
2 whole chipotle peppers in Adobo sauce, finely diced
4 oz diced green chilies
32 oz chicken broth
1-½ cups heavy whipping cream
½ tsp salt
3 Tbsp corn meal
¼ cups water

DIRECTIONS
Cook bacon pieces in a pot for a couple of minutes, and cook the diced onion and stir for 3 to 4 minutes. Add butter, add corn, and stir and cook for 1 minute. Add both kinds of chilies and stir. Pour in chicken broth, cream, and salt, stir, and bring to a boil.  Reduce heat to low, and 
combine cornmeal with water.  Pour into the chowder, cover, and cook for 15 minutes over low heat.  Once consistency is reached, and serve warm with a piece of toasted french bread.


Hope y'all enjoy!


xoxo, Sara

No comments:

Post a Comment