Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Green Beans with Caramelized Shallots



This week has been so much better....I feel like my life finally has the balance I've been looking for.  Plus, I earned a substantial amount in my last paycheck, AND I sold my first bow at the Music Shoppe!  :)  The last couple of days I've had days of literally nothing, so I've been able to catch up on cleaning and general house maintenance things, which has definitely needed to happen.  Living alone out of college is not an easy feat!

So, let's talk shallots.  Shallots are such an interesting thing---they're a cross between garlic and onion, and kind of share that same type of taste.  I found this recipe a while back, and thought it was such an interesting idea, to mix green beans and shallots together, with a hint of thyme!

I had some of the leftover mexican rice from last week, and I thought this would be a perfect pair!  Whatever y'all decide to make with these green beans, I hope you enjoy it :)


Green Beans with Caramelized Shallots

INGREDIENTS
1 lb green beans (about four handfuls), trimmed
2 shallots, sliced
2 Tbsp butter
2 Tbsp olive oil
1/2 tsp thyme, chopped
salt and pepper, to taste

DIRECTIONS
Cook green beans in boiling, salted water for 6 minutes.  Drain and let cool.  Melt butter with oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add shallots and sauté for 1 minute. Reduce heat to medium-low; sauté until shallots are browned and tender, about 20 minutes. Sprinkle with thyme, salt and pepper.  Add cooked green beans to the shallots and stir over medium-high heat for 3-5 minutes. Season to taste with additional salt and pepper, and serve warm.


Hope y'all enjoy!


xoxo, Sara

No comments:

Post a Comment