Sunday, February 26, 2012

Chicken in Orange Sauce



Whew, life has been busy!!  About a week ago, I successfully helped plan a retreat and concert for the youth orchestra I manage....man that was quite the organizational feat!  But everyone seemed to have a really good time, which definitely put a smile on my face.

The week after, I started rehearsals for the CU Symphony, and we played Pictures at an Exhibition!  Man, I really miss orchestra playing....sometimes I wish I was less busy so I had time to practice 5 hours a day and get that orchestra job I've dreamed of ever since I was a little girl.

Anyway, so these past couple of weeks, my personal life has taken a toll as well.  Charlie got a new job, which is SO great, but instead of waking up as late as we want to, his job starts at 8 am....icck.  I started making him dinner around 1 pm, so he could eat dinner a little early, while I'm at work.  The first dinner I made for him follows this blurb: Chicken in Orange Sauce and Szechuan Green Beans.

The chicken in orange sauce was okay....pretty darn good and flavorful, but I prefer the orange flavor in my pork recipe (which I will have to post later!).  The green beans were quite exceptional---it even passed Charlie's stamp of approval!  Hope you guys decide to make these!  It took about 2 hours to make both of these.


CHICKEN IN ORANGE SAUCE

INGREDIENTS  
6 chicken thighs
4 tablespoons olive oil
1 large onion, sliced finely
2 oranges, rind pieces and juice
1/4 cup white wine
1/2 cup chicken stock (optional)
2 tablespoons honey
salt and pepper to taste

DIRECTIONS 
Season the chicken with salt and pepper, and set aside.  In a large frying pan, heat the olive oil and fry the chicken pieces until golden. Remove the chicken and set aside.  In the same pan fry the onions over medium heat until translucent, and add the chicken back into the pan.  Add the white wine into the pan and reduce until you have half the liquid.  Add the orange juice and simmer until the chicken is cooked and tender, around 20 minutes; add chicken stock if necessary.  Add the orange rind and honey and simmer a little longer until the sauce thickens.  Serve warm.

Hope y'all enjoy!

xoxo, Sara

No comments:

Post a Comment